Monday, December 21, 2009

What is the difference between Tretinoin gel and Tretinoin Cream?

I've been prescribed the Tretinoin .01 Gel. I heard there was also a Tretinoin Cream. What is the difference between these two.





Will Tretinoin .01% help me reduce some wrinkles too or does the solution have to be stronger?





Thanks and all your answers will be greatly appreciated.What is the difference between Tretinoin gel and Tretinoin Cream?
Tretinoin cream is formulated with less alcohol than the gel, so it might be a little bit less drying.





(note on the above answer: Tretinoin is available as a plain gel AND as a microsphere gel. They're two distinct products.)





It might help you reduce some fine lines, but it won't do much for deep wrinkles. It's probably best to try a higher concentration (0.05%) if you're looking for wrinkle reduction.





(note on the following answer: dermatologists ARE MDs!)What is the difference between Tretinoin gel and Tretinoin Cream?
yes I know that dermatologists are MD's. I am an RN. But you should understand that not all MD's are dermatologists! Report Abuse

The gel has a different delivery system making use of microspheres. I believe it helps with drying out and even distributon of the medication. So if you have more sensitive skin I'd go with the gel. Also you can call your pharmacy and they will happily give you FREE qualified comparisons on the two.
It is supposed to be very effective. As far as the difference between the gel and the cream, I believe it is just preference. I happen to be in the room with a doctor right now (not a dermatologist, but a genuine MD) who states that Retin-A is a wonder drug and is actually proven to work for acne as well as wrinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment